Monday, November 26, 2012

Green on the Cheap $



Living well shouldn't be the sole domain of the wealthiest among us. Most of the cheap goods offered to the American public are filled with ingredients that are not fit for consumption, like partially hydrogenated soybean oil, a insoluble fat that does not break down: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat. The same is true for the products we use to clean our home and those we use as part of our daily hygiene. I check labels for the items I buy, and I noticed a direct correlation between the cheapest products on the shelf (or on sale) and the amount of low cost but toxic items used to create them. 

I was at the grocery store register checking out items while the young cashier talked to the bagger about her arm. I noticed a big bandage and asked her what happened. She said she got a bad chemical burn from a popular oven cleaner, the kind that causes you to breathe in harmful fumes, too. We had a brief chat about healthy, green products vs. ones that work well and their price points. It's not an easy problem to solve, but we have to give it a good go.

What's a "green" girl on a budget to do? Search and do research! First on my list was a balm for my lips that's necessary during the winter months of dry heat and cold air. But, I wanted something better than petrolatum products. I know drillers discovered the viscous substance lining the pipes that pumped the rigs as a by-product of the friction from it. Are we supposed to use that on our bodies and lips, though? I'm not sure, and as someone who uses a humidifier to combat hard-to-treat hand eczema too, I had to find a solution I could afford.

I found this lip balm at a drug store chain for the bargain price of $1.67 that has a mere six ingredients listed, all natural. No mineral oil or petroleum. Score! It's been working well so far: http://www.blistex.com/products/simple-and-sensitive. Since the no-foam organic conditioning cleanser I use for my hair comes with a hefty price tag of about $16.00 for a small plastic bottle, I needed another solution for that and fast. Low and behold, an internet search turned up the simplest and cheapest solution yet. The humble baking soda, a kitchen staple that's about $1.00 a box. I mix it in with some water and it works just fine. You'll have to adjust the amount of spoonfuls you use based on how oily or dry your hair is, but it's been working thus far: http://www.wikihow.com/Wash-Your-Hair-Without-Shampoo.

Next up are the pricey and largely ineffective anti-perspirants. I have a high core temperature and a high metabolic rate that's boosted continually by my level of activities, so I need something that works and doing without just won't do. Most of the ones I've tried create an even worse smell when I bathe the next day, also staining my shirts and leaving marks on clothing. Blech. An internet search turned up an easy blend of corn starch and baking soda that I mixed in a little jar and keep in my bathroom. I've been using it for days with no irritation to my skin, no mess on my clothes, and no weird skunky smell that I usually get from commercial products. Consider me a convert. I dip a cotton ball into the powdery mix and pat my underarms with it. Problem solved: http://frugalliving.about.com/od/beautyhealthcare/qt/Deodorant.htm.

Now onto moisturizers, also costly and also highly ineffective against my eczema. Why not go natural for that, too? And I did. I poured some good old olive oil into a teacup that sits on a small table, and there's my moisturizer. After a few a days of that and running the humidifier, the eczema on my hands mostly cleared up, though there are still some dry patches. I've been using it all over as an emollient that's been fine so far, though my skin remains somewhat itchy, which it would anyway. I'm just glad I don't have to absorb chemicals into my skin anymore. I am convinced that all these combines toxins we use daily without thought build up in our systems to cause cancer. http://www.livestrong.com/article/283887-pure-olive-oil-as-a-body-moisturizer/.

So. These are the healthy tricks on the cheap I've found so far, but I have a lot more road to cover. I also want to tackle home cleaning. I hate commercial cleaning stuff that causes me to choke when I use it in the bathroom. You know, on the tub that I then bathe in. That can't be good. I've got a mix for hydrogen peroxide and baking soda that I plan to use after my next trip to the store. I'm also looking into the cleaning properties of white vinegar, which can also be used as a hair rinse. I'll let you know how it goes. Stay safe out there this week, and stay informed. Remember, knowledge is power.